Child Support Modification Lawyer

After a divorce or child custody proceeding, circumstances often change for one or both of the parties involved.  When this happens, parties sometimes find it necessary to have their parenting plans, time-sharing agreements, or child support  requirements modified.  To do this, a party must file a Supplemental Petition for Modification.

In order for the court to modify a parenting plan, time-sharing schedule, or child support order, the parent must show a substantial, material, and unanticipated change of circumstances.  The court must also find the changes to be in the child’s best interests.

When a parent wishes to relocate his or her principal residence a distance of 50 miles or more and wants to move the child, he or she must file a Petition to Relocate.  When determining whether to grant the petition and modify the time-sharing agreement, the court takes several considerations into account, including, but not limited to:

  • Time actually spent with the child by each parent, other siblings, and other significant personal in the child’s life;
  • Consistency of child support;
  • Any special needs of the child;
  • The child’s age of maturity and/or preferences; and
  • The reasons for relocation and whether the child’s quality of life will be enhanced by the move.

It is important for parents to understand the legal requirements they must fulfill in order to have a court grant their Supplemental Petition for Modification. The Joseph Firm provides expert counsel and services related to modifying court orders, and we work hard to ensure our clients have their requests granted.  To schedule a consultation, please call (305)-501-0922 to speak with a South Florida Child Support Modifications Lawyer.